Summer break is the perfect time for teachers to recharge, reflect, and seek professional development opportunities. One of the best ways to grow as an educator is through reading books that offer fresh perspectives, practical strategies, and inspiration. Let’s face it, at the end of each school year we are usually run down and ready to turn in our keys and kick up our heals. If you are like me, though, you likely have a hard time turning off your teacher brain for several weeks. This might just be the perfect time to freshen our teacher toolboxes and refocus our thoughts and perspectives.
Whether you’re a seasoned teacher or just starting your journey in the classroom, this list of 10 teacher must-reads will offer you valuable insights and help to empower you to make a positive impact on your students’ lives. There are a plethora of teacher must reads out there, and I wanted to share a few that were highly recommended with you. Here’s a list of 10 books, with summaries of each, that you’ll want to check out this Summer.
Here are your 10 must-read books for this Summer:
Please note that the links provided are affiliate links. I’ll receive a small compensation for each purchase. Your cost will not increase via the use of my links. Thank you, in advance, for using my affiliate links!
The Courage to Teach: Exploring the Inner Landscape of a Teacher’s Life by Parker J. Palmer
- This transformative book delves into the heart of teaching, reminding us of the power of authenticity and the importance of connecting with our own passions and values as educators. Palmer’s exploration will inspire you to bring your true self into the classroom.
- Offering practical strategies for effective classroom management and instruction, this book is a treasure trove of techniques that have been proven to engage students and facilitate learning. Improve your teaching toolkit and maximize student outcomes with Lemov’s insights.
Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol S. Dweck
- Explore the concept of a growth mindset and its impact on student achievement. Dweck’s research demonstrates the power of believing in the potential for growth and resilience in students. Discover how to foster a growth mindset in your classroom to inspire a love for learning.
The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every Child by Donalyn Miller
- Unlock the joy of reading in your students with Miller’s guidance. This book provides practical strategies for creating a reading-friendly classroom environment, promoting independent reading, and nurturing a lifelong love for books among your students.
This Teacher Must-Reads Book is Near & Dear
- Enhance your understanding of cultural diversity and its impact on teaching and learning. Hammond’s book explores brain-based strategies for engaging and empowering culturally diverse students, helping you create a more inclusive and equitable classroom environment.
Just a sidebar on this book. I had the privilege of meeting Ms. Hammond at a conference several years ago. She emphasized the importance of reading the latter chapters of the book and commented that she wished she had put them first since most readers didn’t/don’t read this book through to the end.
Visible Learning for Teachers: Maximizing Impact on Learning by John Hattie (Original available online as a pdf.)
5 More Must-Reads Books for the Summer
- Dive into evidence-based strategies that have a significant impact on student achievement. Hattie’s research synthesis will challenge your assumptions, guiding you toward the most effective teaching practices to improve learning outcomes.
I’m adding these 2 additional books. These are titles that are enhanced and/or updated from the publication of the original text.
Visible Learning and the Science of How We Learn 1st Edition by John Hattie and Gregory C. R. Yates
Visible Learning: The Sequel 1st Edition by John Hattie
- Embrace the uniqueness of your students and challenge the notion of “average.” Rose’s book highlights the importance of individuality and provides insights into tailoring instruction to meet the diverse needs of your learners.
The Growth Mindset Coach: A Teacher’s Month-by-Month Handbook for Empowering Students to Achieve by Annie Brock and Heather Hundley
- Foster a growth mindset in your classroom with this practical handbook. Offering month-by-month guidance, Brock and Hundley provide actionable tips and activities to empower students to embrace challenges, persist in the face of setbacks, and achieve their full potential.
- Gain valuable insights from cognitive science to understand how students learn and how to engage them effectively. Willingham’s book debunks common misconceptions and offers practical suggestions for creating engaging learning experiences.
The Wild Card: 7 Steps to an Educator’s Creative Breakthrough by Wade King and Hope King
- Unleash your creativity and take risks in your teaching with this inspiring guide. King and King encourage educators to embrace their unique talents, inject creativity into their lessons, and create memorable learning experiences that captivate students’ imaginations.
Bonus Teacher Must-Reads Book for the Summer
This summer, invest in your professional growth as a teacher by immersing yourself in these 10 thought-provoking and practical books. Expand your pedagogical knowledge, refine your teaching techniques, and nourish your passion for education. With fresh insights and strategies at your disposal, you’ll return to the classroom ready to inspire, engage, and make a lasting impact on your students’ lives. Remember, a teacher who continues to learn is a teacher who continues to inspire!